Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year, 2011!

Happy New Year Everyone!

2011 will be a momentous year for me. It will be the last year that I'm in my 40's. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about almost being 50. Other than some new aches and pains and about 15 pounds that I can't seem to lose, I still feel like I did when I was in my 20's. Nevertheless, I want to make this year a good one; full of creative endeavors.

First, I want to try new creative pursuits.  I think we all get too comfortable with the way we know how to craft.  Here's my first "new" creation:


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This card was created using the Black Magic technique.  I'm sure this is an old technique for most of you, but I had never tried it.  The most challenging aspect of working with this technique was to find a stamp that was solid.  I don't have many of those.  I noticed that the retired SU set called "Fresh Cuts" had solid aspects to it, and as an added bonus, it also had script and line work all in one stamp.  I stamped the image in Color Box Frost White.  Then I went to my office job for 8 hours.  Yes, this is what works for me now; start in the morning and finish when I come home.  I think of ways I want to work my creation all day at work, and then when I come home, I just put it together.  Anyway, by the time I came home and was able to craft, my image was quite dry.  I used Prisma Pencils to color my solid images.  I chose a light and a dark shade of each color in order to create dimension.  I then highlighted the image with white gel pen and a gold glitter pen.  The DP is from a gorgeous pad of "Monet-like" patterns by K&Co.  I also used a little charm from a company called Blue Moon.  The charm was originally silver, but I embossed it with gold embossing powder.  You would never know it was originally silver, huh?  The ribbon, sentiment and punched oval and photo corner are all from SU.  I learned this technique on Splitcoast for their weekly technique Here.
 
Another new technique I'm honing in 2011 is learning to master Copics.  I acquired some new ones for Christmas, so now to use them!
Here, I colored my bear from SU's retired "Favorite Teddy Bear" with E31, E33 and E35.  There are also touches of R20 for giving her a little blush.  I took the flowers from the flower pot in the set and filled the wagon with them.  They were colored with shades of yellow, yellow-orange and blue.  The wheels of the wagon were cut out and popped up.  I added a little yellow hair tie to my bear's head and some stitching to the DP and there you have it.  The sentiment is from SU, and came out a little too light, so I went over it with a Glaze pen.  Oh, I also used a MS border punch for the top of the card.  This is for the Sketch Challenge over at Splitcoast, so you can find this sketch under challenges.

That's all for now.  Have a wonderful New Year's weekend.  I'm off to take down Christmas decorations and perhaps check out the Inspiration Challenge over at Splitcoast.

W.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger