Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cookies That Are Good For You?

Well, the zucchini harvest is upon us.  Luckily, I thought ahead this year and printed out recipes corresponding to all my crops.  I kept seeing recipes for cookies made with zucchini and was intrigued.  I guess if you can have zucchini bread and cake, you could also make a cookie.  So, I decided to give it a try.  Everything was a go until I realized that I didn't have any raisins.  I almost gave up, but then realized I had some Raisinets stashed in the cupboard for when I had a chocolate craving.  Hmm? Chocolate, zucchini, yeah that will work!

So this what I came up with:  Zucchini Raisinets - recipe at the end of this post.

















I did learn something along the way, like next time I'll make my mounds smaller on the cookie sheet, since they tend to spread, but other than that, even my toughest critics loved them.

I also decided to make a recipe holder to celebrate my culinary triumph.  I used one of Mo's digital images, colored him with Prisma pencils and cut him out.  The base is 4-1/2 x 7 inches.  The recipe card is 4 x 5-1/2.  Wouldn't this be cute accompanied by a basket of cookies as a gift?

















So here's the recipe.  Be sure to do the glaze on top of the cookie.  It really makes a difference in the overall flavor.

ZUCCHINI RAISINET COOKIES
½ c. butter or margarine, softened      1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. sugar                                          1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 egg                                                 ½ tsp. salt
1 c, finely shredded zucchini              ¾ c. Raisinets
1 tsp. grated lemon peel                     ½ c. chopped walnuts
2 c. all-purpose flour                         2 c. confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp. baking soda                             2 T. lemon juice

Cream butter and sugar. Mix in egg, zucchini and lemon peel. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in Raisinets and walnuts. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. Mix confectioner’s sugar and lemon juice, add water as needed to create a glaze consistency. Drizzle over cooled cookie and let set. Enjoy, these are good for you!

Til Next Time,

3 comments:

  1. These sounde delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe printed out and all set to bake. Thank you for the yummy recipe.

    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  3. A recipe in a cute holder attached to a plate or bag of already made cookies beats out the recipe in a jar with the ingredients for sure!! That's a Great! idea... I'm going to try this soon...

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger